Whether you’ve heard of on-the-rise hip-hop/R&B singer/songwriter/producer Frank Ocean or not, the Odd Future member is really making a name for himself in the music industry these days. Ever since being featured on Kanye West and Jay-Z’s massive 2011 album Watch The Throne, his name has been on everybody’s lips, and his debut album Channel Orange will be out later this month. As one of music’s most stellar writers right now, Frank took to his tumblr blog to announce to the world that his first love was a man, which has been a hot topic on the Internet for a few days now. The controversial angle to his “news” is that the would of hip-hop is known for being homophobic at times, so people are wondering if he will still be accepted into the rap community. We personally think that it was a beautifully written piece, so we were inspired to write a post ourselves, inspired by Frank Ocean’s ability to write stunning lyrics:
5. Human beings in a mob / What’s a mob to a king? / What’s a king to a god? / What’s a god to a non-believer who don’t believe in anything? — “No Church In The Wild“
4. We’ll run to the future / Shining like diamonds in a rocky world / A rocky, rocky world / Our skin like bronze and our hair like cashmere — “Pyramids“
3. Sweet King Martin, sweet Queen Coretta / Sweet Brother Malcolm, sweet Queen Betty / Sweet Mother Mary, sweet Father Joseph / Sweet Jesus, we made it in America — “Made In America“
2. Could this be earth, could this be light / Does this mean everything’s going to be alright / One look out my window, there’s trees talking like people / I dreamt of storms, I dreamt of sound — “White“
1. A tornado flew around my room before you came / Excuse the mess it made, it usually doesn’t rain / In Southern California, much like Arizona / My eyes don’t shed tears, but, boy, they bawl — “Thinkin’ Bout You“
Watch Frank Ocean’s “Swim Good” music video below:
We want to hear your favorite lyrical lines from Frank Ocean! Let us know in the comments.