30 Day Song Challenge! Day 26: A Song That Is Covered Too Much
I was gonna say Bonnie Raitt's "I Can't Make You Love Me", due to the recent covers by Bon Iver and Adele, but I decided to go down a different route and opt for Dolly Parton's classic "Jolene". I feel like this song is completely untouchable — the girl is in absolute shambles over some Glamazon redhead tryin' to steal her man, so why are other people trying to capture her essence in their own covers? Wrong. Just wrong.
Some people may argue that The White Stripes did their version of "Jolene" flawlessly, but I beg to differ. Jack White claims his version means he's singing about a friend who's been taken away from him by the likes of "Jolene", but it just doesn't make any sense to me. *shrugs*
Also, can we just discuss the awesome-ness of ol' skool DP in this video? Big blonde hair that doesn't move, a frosty pink jumpsuit with matching eyeshadow, and her overall sweetness delivered with just a side of saucy? You go girl!
- How Many Times Will You Watch One Direction's "Steal My Girl" Video?
- Dave Grohl Explains How The Place You Live Inspires Your Songwriting
- Stream These 15 Boo-tiful Songs About Ghosts
- It's Official! Taylor Swift's '1989' Track List Has Landed
- QUIZ: How Well Do You Know One Direction Lyrics?
- You Won't Forget These Handwritten "Amnesia" Lyrics from 5SOS
- WATCH Ariana Grande ft. The Weeknd's "Love Me Harder" Lyric Video