30 Day Song Challenge! Day 26: A Song That Is Covered Too Much
I was gonna say Bonnie Raitt's "I Can't Make You Love Me", due to the recent covers by Bon Iver and Adele, but I decided to go down a different route and opt for Dolly Parton's classic "Jolene". I feel like this song is completely untouchable — the girl is in absolute shambles over some Glamazon redhead tryin' to steal her man, so why are other people trying to capture her essence in their own covers? Wrong. Just wrong.
Some people may argue that The White Stripes did their version of "Jolene" flawlessly, but I beg to differ. Jack White claims his version means he's singing about a friend who's been taken away from him by the likes of "Jolene", but it just doesn't make any sense to me. *shrugs*
Also, can we just discuss the awesome-ness of ol' skool DP in this video? Big blonde hair that doesn't move, a frosty pink jumpsuit with matching eyeshadow, and her overall sweetness delivered with just a side of saucy? You go girl!
- Does Sam Smith's "Stay With Me" Sound Familiar? Here's Why
- Listen to Rihanna, Paul McCartney, & Kanye West's 'FourFiveSeconds'
- Is This The Most Random GRAMMYs Performance Lineup Ever?
- The Kooks Got All Creative and Wrote Their Lyrics On A Paper Towel
- Pop Newcomer Emily Hearn Filled Out Our Musical Mind Q&A + Gave Us Handwritten Lyrics
- Ella Henderson Explains the True Meaning of Her Smash-Hit Single 'Ghost'
- You'll Go 'Psycho' Over These Fall Out Boy Handwritten Lyrics from Pete Wentz