Ariana Grande Might Have Stolen These Lyrics
Uh oh! The singer's in trouble for her "The Way" lyrics...
Say it isn't so? Our darling actress-turned-singer Ariana Grande is being sued off the first line in her track "The Way", featuring Mac Miller. "What we gotta do right here is go back, back into time", says Miller before Ariana goes off with her signature vocal runs. A claim by Minder Music has been brought forward that team Grande has taken this verse from 1972 song "Troglodyte" by The Jimmy Castor Bunch. The original line? "What we're gonna do right here is go back, way back, back into time".
However, many, many artists have borrowed samples from the 40+ year old disco jam, spanning over 70 times! Everybody from Lil' Kim to Madonna to Christina Aguilera has used a "Troglodyte" sample in their music, therefore it's likely the lawsuit won't make it to court.
For now, watch the music video for "The Way" by Ariana Grande off VEVO below: do YOU think the lawsuit is a valid claim? Tell us in the comments.
- Alessia Cara's 'Here' Is An Anthem for the Introverted
- Yep, That's Justin Bieber Singing "Baby" with James Corden
- Watch Foo Fighters Close Out Letterman's Final Show With 'Everlong'
- This Video of Misheard Disney Lyrics Is Too Cute
- One Direction Address Zayn Malik's Departure, Play Epic Game of Dodgeball On Corden
- This Company Makes A Living by Putting Hit Song Lyrics On Clothing
- Memorize These 15 Karaoke Classics to Whip Out at Your Next Party