Bonnie McKee Shares Her Songwriting Secrets (LINER NOTES)
The singer/songwriter gives us insight into her creative process for writing lyrics in our exclusive interview!
Welcome to another episode of LINER NOTES, our video interview series that profiles songwriters on their craft, discussing how they write lyrics and revealing the meanings behind some of the words.
In this episode of LINER NOTES we talk to Bonnie McKee, the lyricist behind a whopping EIGHT number one pop singles (five with Katy Perry!), who gives us terrific insight into her writing process.
Bonnie's story on how she became such an in-demand songwriter began with struggle: moving to LA when she was just 16 to try and make it as an artist was met with initial disappointment. But things turned around for the up-and-coming pop star when she Katy Perry for the first time, and built her relationship with super-producers Dr. Luke and Max Martin.
Bonnie's writing process begins with a song's title. "The world is full of song titles," says McKee. "If you open your ears to them and your eyes to them, they're everywhere." Once she nails that elusive title, Bonnie builds out the lyrics and story from there. Her latest single "American Girl," came together in this way, which Bonnie breaks down in full in the clip.
Check out our exclusive LINER NOTES interview with Bonnie McKee below:
For more LINER NOTES, check out some of our past interviews:
Thirty Seconds To Mars Explain Why Writing A Song Is Like Having A Kid (LINER NOTES)
That plus a whole lot more about how the band write lyrics in this episode of LINER NOTES....More
Download Bonnie's catchy single "American Girl" off iTunes today. Share your favorite lyric from Bonnie McKee's "American Girl" in the comments.
- The Kooks Got All Creative and Wrote Their Lyrics On A Paper Towel
- Listen to Rihanna, Paul McCartney, & Kanye West's 'FourFiveSeconds'
- Pop Newcomer Emily Hearn Filled Out Our Musical Mind Q&A + Gave Us Handwritten Lyrics
- Ella Henderson Explains the True Meaning of Her Smash-Hit Single 'Ghost'
- You'll Go 'Psycho' Over These Fall Out Boy Handwritten Lyrics from Pete Wentz
- Don't Believe Fall Out Boy Covered "Uptown Funk"? Just Watch!
- WATCH Maroon 5 Crash a Bunch of Weddings