deCODED: Beyoncé - I Was Here
First of all, if you haven't seen Beyoncé's online documentary Year Of 4, I highly recommend you stream it RIGHT THIS SECOND. Or, why not watch it a second time? Three times? Or 4 (see what I did there)?
I know there's been a lot of Beyoncé coverage lately, with her and Jay-Z's future child making headlines around the world, but I've been thinking about "I Was Here" lately (not to mention playing it on repeat a million times), so I wanted to feature it on deCODED:
I want to leave my footprints on the sands of time
Know there was something there, and something that I left behind
When I leave this world, I'll leave no regrets
Leave something to remember, so they won't forget
In Year Of 4, Lady B dishes that she took a year off from her career in pop and travelled the world. We see her combing beaches, swimming solo in the vast ocean, and even sliding down the Great Wall of China. Naturally, she came back to music after her break with a sense of humble belonging. The song still has a little bit of an egotistical feel (the girl's got an "Ego" after all), though:
Left this world a little better, just because I was here
But can you blame her? She really has touched a lot of hearts along her amazing journey in pop, myself included. A lot of top 40 artists could write a down-to-earth song like this, but they wouldn't be able to perform in in such a genuine way like our Miss B.
Where would we be without you on this planet, Beyoncé?
- Watch Darlene Love's Final Christmas Performance on David Letterman TONIGHT
- This Hilarious Misheard Lyrics Video Will Force You to Rethink Your List of "Starbucks Lovers"
- Best Albums of 2014: Amanda's Top 10 Picks
- Who Else Has Been Naughty & Nice This Christmas? WATCH Pt. II
- Get To Know The 'WILD' Soundtrack With These Exclusive Lyric Cards
- Best Singles of 2014: Amanda's Top 10 Tracks
- Ring In 2015 With Our All-Night New Years Playlist