deCODED: Coldplay - Every Teardrop Is A Waterfall
Coldplay has always been one of those bands that are all about the lyrics. Case in point: "Fix You" has been on our Top 100 Lyrics chart, for...well, pretty much as soon as it came out. People are clearly connecting to the band through their lyrics.
That's why I got to thinking — we've gotta feature a deCODED on these pop-rock British boys, so why not start with their first single off Mylo Xyloto (due in October) "Every Teardrop Is A Waterfall"?
I turn the music up I got my records on
I shut the world outside until the lights come on
Maybe the streets alight maybe the trees are gone
I feel my heart start beating to my favourite song
The first verse in the song starts out rather obvious: he narrator is losing themselves in the music, so much that they do not care about the world turning around them. We've all been there, right?
And all the kids they dance, all the kids, all night
Until Monday morning feels another life
I turn the music up
I'm on a roll this time
And heaven is in sight
The narrator feels like their music is their own form of rebellion; staying up all night even though they have responsibilities the next day (Monday morning — the most dreaded time of the week). Of course, they rebel further and turn the music up again!
I turn the music up, I got my records on
From underneath the rubble sing a rebel song
Don't want to see another generation drop
I'd rather be a comma than a full stop
I'm really digging the comma metaphor they sneak into the lyrics. It's the narrator's way of saying that they may be slowed down, but they'll never stop. Yet another form of music rebellion. Essentially, the song is all about the power of music and how it can exaggerate one's feelings (Every teardrop is a waterfall, much?).
Any other ideas on the meaning behind Coldplay's track?
- New Music From Gwen Stefani! Hear "Baby Don't Lie"
- Taylor Swift Told The World What Her "Out Of The Woods" Lyrics Mean
- 15 Songs That MetroLyrics Fans Are Listening To Right Now
- WATCH: Foo Fighters Perform Brand New Single 'Something From Nothing' On Letterman
- Foo Fighters Play Cheap Trick Classic 'Stiff Competition' with Rick Nielsen: WATCH
- Get The First Spin On Paul Oakenfold & Azealia Banks' New Lyric Video
- Here's One Direction's 'Four' Track List From The Band Themselves