deCODED: Death Cab For Cutie - You Are A Tourist
[Sorry about the lack of the full band — this is just a great shot!]
We've got a pretty straightforward set of lyrics on this edition of deCODED: Death Cab For Cutie's "You Are A Tourist". It's the classic case of somebody who's unhappy with their life and the encouragement to move on and make big changes. Case in point:
And if you feel just like a tourist in the city you were born
Then it's time to go
What we're more curious about is who the song is penned to. Lead singer Ben Gibbard put a ring on songbird Zooey Deschanel, so we're wondering if she was tired with California life and her husband whisked her away to his hometown of Seattle? Guitarist Chris Walla is also the songwriter in the band, so it could be about his significant other as well. We could say that's it's just a friend they're talking about, but the burning fire metaphor sounds very passionate and raw — something they could only discover from a lover:
This fire grows higher
When there's a burning in your heart
There's also a clever set of lyrics that we should tap into:
Cause when you find yourself the villain in the story you have written
It's plain to see
That sometimes the best intentions are in need of redemptions
It sounds like these lines dictate that this person [Zooey?] has turned bitter, and their choices in life aren't always right. We hope whoever this song is directed at finds their path in life!
- Listen to Rihanna, Paul McCartney, & Kanye West's 'FourFiveSeconds'
- The Kooks Got All Creative and Wrote Their Lyrics On A Paper Towel
- Pop Newcomer Emily Hearn Filled Out Our Musical Mind Q&A + Gave Us Handwritten Lyrics
- Ella Henderson Explains the True Meaning of Her Smash-Hit Single 'Ghost'
- You'll Go 'Psycho' Over These Fall Out Boy Handwritten Lyrics from Pete Wentz
- Don't Believe Fall Out Boy Covered "Uptown Funk"? Just Watch!
- WATCH Maroon 5 Crash a Bunch of Weddings