deCODED: Ellie Goulding - Lights
So, we're kind of obsessed with Ellie Goulding right now, especially "Lights" from her debut album of the same name. I mean, it's a killer tune, right? But, we have to ask ourselves...WHAT DOES IT MEAN???
Essentially, it seems like Ms. Goulding's got the Peter Pan complex - she's afraid of the grown-up world. The first paragraph in the song shows this:
I had a way then losing it all on my own,
I had a heart then but the Queen has been overthrown,
And I'm not sleeping now the dark is too hard to beat,
And I'm not keeping now the strength I need to push me.
As an adult, you go through many hardships. You go out into the world on your own, you may experience loss or despair, and don't have the comfort of your parents or guardians to keep you going.
You show the lights that stop me turn to stone,
You shine it when I'm alone,
And so I tell myself that I'll be strong,
And dreaming when they're gone.
She describes the "lights" from her family or loved ones, most likely positive energy, convincing herself to continue on after she leaves the nest.
What do you guys think? Did we get the metaphor down pat?
- Does Sam Smith's "Stay With Me" Sound Familiar? Here's Why
- Listen to Rihanna, Paul McCartney, & Kanye West's 'FourFiveSeconds'
- Is This The Most Random GRAMMYs Performance Lineup Ever?
- The Kooks Got All Creative and Wrote Their Lyrics On A Paper Towel
- Pop Newcomer Emily Hearn Filled Out Our Musical Mind Q&A + Gave Us Handwritten Lyrics
- Ella Henderson Explains the True Meaning of Her Smash-Hit Single 'Ghost'
- You'll Go 'Psycho' Over These Fall Out Boy Handwritten Lyrics from Pete Wentz