deCODED: Ellie Goulding - Lights
So, we're kind of obsessed with Ellie Goulding right now, especially "Lights" from her debut album of the same name. I mean, it's a killer tune, right? But, we have to ask ourselves...WHAT DOES IT MEAN???
Essentially, it seems like Ms. Goulding's got the Peter Pan complex - she's afraid of the grown-up world. The first paragraph in the song shows this:
I had a way then losing it all on my own,
I had a heart then but the Queen has been overthrown,
And I'm not sleeping now the dark is too hard to beat,
And I'm not keeping now the strength I need to push me.
As an adult, you go through many hardships. You go out into the world on your own, you may experience loss or despair, and don't have the comfort of your parents or guardians to keep you going.
You show the lights that stop me turn to stone,
You shine it when I'm alone,
And so I tell myself that I'll be strong,
And dreaming when they're gone.
She describes the "lights" from her family or loved ones, most likely positive energy, convincing herself to continue on after she leaves the nest.
What do you guys think? Did we get the metaphor down pat?
- In The Valley Below Sent Us A Message In A Bottle With Handwritten Lyrics On It and You Can Win It!
- 5 Love Songs That Are Actually Creepy
- ACM Awards: Everything You Need to Know About the Entertainer of the Year Nominees
- Get To Know Pop-Punk Trio Courage My Love
- Justin Bieber Leads This Epic Celebrity 'I Really Like You' Lip Sync Party
- Watch Jennifer Hudson & James Corden Kill It in 'Carpool Karaoke'
- Get All The Feels by Watching George Ezra on The Late Late Show