deCODED: Guns N' Roses - Welcome To The Jungle
To celebrate the 24th anniversary of Appetite for Destruction, I thought I'd try and decipher the "jungle" of lyrics that configure one of GnR's greatest hits.
The lyrics seem to be about their hometown of Los Angeles — gettin' ruffed up around town, hanging with girls and throwing around money. Seems pretty spot on. If I wanted to dig a little deeper, I could say that this song's potentially influenced by the Vietnam war, referenced by different situations in L.A. The "jungle" metaphor is obvious, as well as the whole primal vibe the song gives off.
Welcome to the jungle
It gets worse here everyday
You learn to live like an animal
In the jungle where we play
If you got a hunger for what you see
You'll take it eventually
You can have anything you want
But you better not take it from me
Did I miss anything? Let me know!
- Even Taylor Swift Can Get Down With Kanye's "All Day"
- Here's Why 'Uptown Funk' Is World's Biggest Pop Song Right Now
- Christina Aguilera's Impression of Britney Spears Is Perfect
- This Mash-Up of Jay Z and Ed Sheeran Is Absolutely Everything
- Ed Sheeran Puts His Spin On A...Christina Aguilera Classic?
- The Oh Hellos Letter-Graded Their 'Hello My Old Heart' Handwritten Lyrics For Us
- Our Favorite Musical Moments from the 2015 Oscars