deCODED: Guns N' Roses - Welcome To The Jungle
To celebrate the 24th anniversary of Appetite for Destruction, I thought I'd try and decipher the "jungle" of lyrics that configure one of GnR's greatest hits.
The lyrics seem to be about their hometown of Los Angeles — gettin' ruffed up around town, hanging with girls and throwing around money. Seems pretty spot on. If I wanted to dig a little deeper, I could say that this song's potentially influenced by the Vietnam war, referenced by different situations in L.A. The "jungle" metaphor is obvious, as well as the whole primal vibe the song gives off.
Welcome to the jungle
It gets worse here everyday
You learn to live like an animal
In the jungle where we play
If you got a hunger for what you see
You'll take it eventually
You can have anything you want
But you better not take it from me
Did I miss anything? Let me know!
- 15 Songs For Your Labor Day Long Weekend
- SOJA's "Your Song" Reminds Us That Summer Isn't Over Yet
- WATCH Jessie + Ariana + Nicki Host The Best Rooftop Party Ever
- Ariana Grande's 'My Everything' is Here and the Lyrics are Everything
- WATCH Cobra Starship ft. Icona Pop's (Surprisingly) Romantic Lyric Video
- Darius Rucker's 'Homegrown Honey' Lyrics Are About Finding a Down-Home Soul in The Big City
- 12 Pump-Up Songs to Help Get You Ready for Back-to-School