deCODED: Lykke Li - I Follow Rivers
If you watch the video for Swede indie-babe Lykke Li's "I Follow Rivers", it's a lot easier to figure out exactly what she's talking about in her lyrics. Directed by Tarik Saleh, the video depicts Li dressed in black, trailing after a man in cold, harsh weather conditions. But what does it all mean? Here's where deCODED steps in:
Oh I beg you, can I follow
Oh I ask you, want to always
Be the ocean, where I unravel
Be my only, be the water where I'm wading
You're my river running high, run deep and run wild
The lyrics seem to reference lust instead of love; infatuation instead of caring. She references her man as the ocean, which is a vast & uncontrollable place, and her path to him is the river.
I, I follow, I follow you, deep sea baby
I follow you
I, I follow, I follow you, dark doom honey
I follow you
She's going to follow him wherever he may take her, AKA the "deep sea dark doom".
Watch the end of the video, as she captures her man and clings to him. She glances out at the sea in the final moments, which means that she recognizes the danger she is now in as she holds her prize to herself. It's interesting to think about what might happen to her as this "relationship" with the "deep sea" pans out...but I guess we'll never know...
Any other thoughts on the meaning behind "I Follow Rivers"?
- Get The Track List To Ariana Grande's 'My Everything'
- 7 Songs You MUST Have On Your July 4th Long Weekend Playlist
- See Every Lyric On Sia's New Album '1000 Forms of Fear'
- Join Becky G's Pool Party In Her "Shower" Music Video
- Neon Trees' Tyler Glenn Explains Why 'Sleeping With A Friend' Is Usually A Bad Idea
- 5 Seconds Of Summer Get Deep In Their "Amnesia" Lyric Video
- Alex & Sierra Share Handwritten Lyrics To 'Scarecrow'