deCODED: Taylor Swift - Safe & Sound featuring The Civil Wars
The Hunger Games is the as-yet-unreleased movie that is currently taking the world by storm. Based on a series of young-adult novels, the movie's soundtrack has an impressive soundtrack featuring artists like Taylor Swift, Arcade Fire, Maroon 5, and Miranda Lambert. So far, the standout track has been Taylor Swift and The Civil Wars' moody, haunting ballad "Safe & Sound." The song's minimalistic production and beautiful guitar riffs allow the vocals and lyrics to stand out as the focal point. Let's take a closer look at the meaning behind the lyrics...
I remember tears streaming down your face / When I said, I'll never let you go / When all those shadows almost killed your light / I remember you said, Don't leave me here alone
The person she's singing to is afraid of dying and being left alone. the "shadows" that "almost killed your light" represent a previous brush with death. Taylor Swift has described this song as a "death lullaby" previously.
Just close your eyes / The sun is going down / You'll be alright / No one can hurt you now / Come morning light / You and I'll be safe and sound
Taylor sings this lullaby to her partner, knowing that in the morning they will surely perish, but hopefully they will cross to the other side and be "safe and sound"; as opposed to alive and in the midst of the horrible battles outside.
Don't you dare look out your window darling / Everything's on fire / The war outside our door keeps raging on / Hold onto this lullaby / Even when the music's gone, gone
She warns him yet again of the dangers taking place outside their door. She encourages him to listen to the soothing sounds of her lullaby, and remember it when they are passing to the other side.
What do the lyrics to this song mean to you? Let us know below!
- The Kooks Got All Creative and Wrote Their Lyrics On A Paper Towel
- Listen to Rihanna, Paul McCartney, & Kanye West's 'FourFiveSeconds'
- Pop Newcomer Emily Hearn Filled Out Our Musical Mind Q&A + Gave Us Handwritten Lyrics
- Ella Henderson Explains the True Meaning of Her Smash-Hit Single 'Ghost'
- You'll Go 'Psycho' Over These Fall Out Boy Handwritten Lyrics from Pete Wentz
- Don't Believe Fall Out Boy Covered "Uptown Funk"? Just Watch!
- WATCH Maroon 5 Crash a Bunch of Weddings