deCODED: The xx - Crystalized
Gonna be honest here: this is one of my absolute favourite songs. I mean, it's subtle, haunting, beautiful - I lovelovelove it so. So, naturally, I've pondered to myself just exactly WTF it means. Let's jump into verse 1:
You've applied the pressure
To have me crystalized
And you've got the faith
That I could bring paradise
I believe that this tune's a metaphor, and the symbol in question is - *warning* just a little PG-13 - crystal meth (DUN DUN DUNNN). The deeper meaning is a troubled relationship, referenced by the creation, use, and abuse of the drug.
When you think about it, relationships are kind of like a drug addiction. There are highs, lows, and even when there's trouble, you still don't know how to quit. The cool thing about this song is the back-and-forth, male-female vocals, which could even represent the dude's "addiction" to the relationship, while the lady wants to take things slow. She might think that he's with her for the physical side of the relationship (AKA the "high" from the "hit"):
You don't move slow
Taking steps in my direction
The sound resounds, echo
Does it lessen your affection
Pretty intense metaphor, if I do say so myself. What do y'all think? Nailed it?
- You're Gonna Really Like Carly Rae Jepsen's New Single!
- Even Taylor Swift Can Get Down With Kanye's "All Day"
- Here's Why 'Uptown Funk' Is the World's Biggest Pop Song Right Now
- Christina Aguilera's Impression of Britney Spears Is Perfect
- This Mash-Up of Jay Z and Ed Sheeran Is Absolutely Everything
- Ed Sheeran Puts His Spin On A...Christina Aguilera Classic?
- The Oh Hellos Letter-Graded Their 'Hello My Old Heart' Handwritten Lyrics For Us