Fun.'s Nate Ruess Thinks Lyrics Need To Smarten Up
In a recent interview with NME, the band Fun. spilled on their thoughts on the lyrics in present-day music. Fun.'s frontman Nate Ruess adressed the caliber of lyrics in current songs saying, "Lyrics have become so dumbed down nowadays. People don't want to have to think about lyrics anymore, they just want to be told something."
With the popularity of party anthems and simple dance songs, it's easy to see that in some popular music lyrics have fallen by the wayside while our attention focusses in on contagious beats and flashy stage-presence. That being said, the art of lyric-writing is not lost, especially not to Ruess: "Until these great things started happening with us, I'd really given up on reaching people [through lyrics]. Lyrics are so important. I hate every second of writing them, but it's something I take great pride in when it's finished."
What do you think of the current state of popular music lyrics? Do you think the "We Are Young" hitmakers' lyrics are any better? Tell us in the comments!
- Lyric Reveal: Jodeci's New Album 'The Past, The Present, The Future'
- 15 Easter-Ready Tracks To Kick Off Your Long Weekend
- Obviously Taylor Swift Won 'Best Lyrics' at the iHeartRadio Awards
- Check Out Darius Rucker's Beautiful 'Southern Style' Lyric Posters
- MAX's Handwritten Lyrics Will Leave You Talking 'Gibberish'
- Finally You Can Hear Rihanna's New 'R8' Single In Full
- Get a First Look at Kopecky's New 'Quarterback' Lyric Video (PREMIERE)