Getting To Know Lorde's Hit "Royals"
It's up for a GRAMMY in the Song Of The Year category: find out why!
Hey, everybody: it's time to break down the fourth tune nominated for Song Of The Year at the 2014 GRAMMYs! Yesterday, we saw what made Katy Perry's "Roar" tick, and over the week we've looked at both Pink's "Just Give Me A Reason" and Bruno Mars' "Locked Out Of Heaven". Next up on the docket is probably 2013's biggest surprise hit: Lorde's "Royals", which was released when she was only 16 years old. Not bad for a teenager from New Zealand!
Written by Lorde (real name Ella Yelich-O'Connor) and little-known songwriter Joel Little, the up-and-coming star chose to work with somebody under the radar to avoid having, say, somebody like Dr. Luke or Max Martin all over her songs to take away from the lyrics. Speaking of the lyrics, they were inspired in a strange way from the young singer. "I had this image from the National Geographic of this dude signing baseballs," she told VH1, "He was a baseball player and his shirt said 'Royals.' And I was like 'I really love that word,'". And the idea of the song was born!
When it came to the lyrics about describing extravagances that she can't relate to, such as But every song's like: Gold teeth / Grey Goose / Tripping in the bathroom / Bloodstains / Ball gowns / Trashing the hotel room, Lorde revealed that it came from listening to artists like Jay Z and Lana Del Rey describing their fancy cars and destinations in their own lyrics. "If I write songs about anything else then I'm not writing anything that's real," stated Lorde to publication The Observer.
We think Lorde could potentially take home the GRAMMY for Song Of The Year, based on these cool facts alone. Watch the music video for her famous track "Royals" off VEVO below...
- Preview Darius Rucker's New Album With These Beautiful Lyric Posters
- MAX's Handwritten Lyrics Will Leave You Talking 'Gibberish'
- Finally You Can Hear Rihanna's New 'R8' Single In Full
- Get a First Look at Kopecky's New 'Quarterback' Lyric Video (PREMIERE)
- 13 One Direction Songs That Just Won't Be The Same Without Zayn
- SAT Prep Book Publishes A Major Taylor Swift Lyric Flub
- Ne-Yo Explains How He and Calvin Harris Created EDM Magic on 'Let's Go'