Going Behind Macklemore & Ryan Lewis' "Same Love" Lyrics
The final song up for Song Of The Year at the 2014 GRAMMYs gets the breakdown treatment.
Welcome to the final song that we're covering in the Song Of The Year category at the 2014 GRAMMYs! So far, we've broken down "Just Give Me A Reason", "Locked Out Of Heaven", "Roar", and "Royals", who are all respectively up for the award. Last but not least is a little ditty by Macklemore & Ryan Lewis, entitled "Same Love", which features singer Mary Lambert.
As one of the most personal tunes nominated for SOTY, Macklemore (real name Ben Haggerty) drew from personal experience when it came to the lyrics. His uncles and godfather are both gay, and in the rap, Haggerty tells the tale of their struggles throughout their life because of their sexuality.
I might not be the same / But that's not important / No freedom 'til we're equal / Damn right I support it, spews Macklemore in "Same Love"'s lyrics, stating that even though he himself is straight, that doesn't mean he won't fight for equality. The song's hook, taken from Seattle-based spoken-word poet and singer Mary Lambert, was borrowed from her beautiful same-sex love song "She Keeps Me Warm". And I cant change, even if I tried / Even if I wanted to, sings Lambert, implying that her sexuality isn't a choice: it's how she was born.
Winning Best Video With A Social Message at the 2013 MTV Video Music Awards, "Same Love" is slowly but surely changing society's mind on the same-sex issue that continues to plague the world. Does Macklemore & Ryan Lewis' uplifting track have what it takes to win Song Of The Year at the GRAMMYs? You be the judge. Watch the music video for the song off YouTube below:
- Alicia Keys Debuts New Single "We Are Here"
- Get The Lyrics to Flyleaf's 'Between The Stars' Before It Drops
- Banks Hand Wrote Out The Lyrics To "Beggin For Thread" Just For Us
- Here Are a Bunch of Crazy Facts About Sia's 'Chandelier'
- The 12 Most Memorable Moments From Fashion Rocks Live 2014
- WATCH: Wrabel Performs "Ten Feet Tall" In One Take & It's Amazing
- Mary Lambert Has Nothing to Hide in Her Handwritten "Secrets" Lyrics