Going Behind Macklemore & Ryan Lewis' "Same Love" Lyrics
The final song up for Song Of The Year at the 2014 GRAMMYs gets the breakdown treatment.
Welcome to the final song that we're covering in the Song Of The Year category at the 2014 GRAMMYs! So far, we've broken down "Just Give Me A Reason", "Locked Out Of Heaven", "Roar", and "Royals", who are all respectively up for the award. Last but not least is a little ditty by Macklemore & Ryan Lewis, entitled "Same Love", which features singer Mary Lambert.
As one of the most personal tunes nominated for SOTY, Macklemore (real name Ben Haggerty) drew from personal experience when it came to the lyrics. His uncles and godfather are both gay, and in the rap, Haggerty tells the tale of their struggles throughout their life because of their sexuality.
I might not be the same / But that's not important / No freedom 'til we're equal / Damn right I support it, spews Macklemore in "Same Love"'s lyrics, stating that even though he himself is straight, that doesn't mean he won't fight for equality. The song's hook, taken from Seattle-based spoken-word poet and singer Mary Lambert, was borrowed from her beautiful same-sex love song "She Keeps Me Warm". And I cant change, even if I tried / Even if I wanted to, sings Lambert, implying that her sexuality isn't a choice: it's how she was born.
Winning Best Video With A Social Message at the 2013 MTV Video Music Awards, "Same Love" is slowly but surely changing society's mind on the same-sex issue that continues to plague the world. Does Macklemore & Ryan Lewis' uplifting track have what it takes to win Song Of The Year at the GRAMMYs? You be the judge. Watch the music video for the song off YouTube below:
- Watch Darlene Love's Final Christmas Performance on David Letterman TONIGHT
- This Hilarious Misheard Lyrics Video Will Force You to Rethink Your List of "Starbucks Lovers"
- Best Albums of 2014: Amanda's Top 10 Picks
- Who Else Has Been Naughty & Nice This Christmas? WATCH Pt. II
- Get To Know The 'WILD' Soundtrack With These Exclusive Lyric Cards
- Best Singles of 2014: Amanda's Top 10 Tracks
- Ring In 2015 With Our All-Night New Years Playlist