J. Cole Performs "Work Out" On Letterman
J. Cole brought his A-game to Letterman on Wednesday night, and he's got the varsity jacket to prove it.
The recent Roc-Nation signee performed his first single, "Work Out", which samples Kanye West's "New Workout Plan" and Paula Abdul's "Straight Up". J.'s performance definitely proved reminiscent of early Kanye with his emphasized drawl on a couple key words (read: "Hit and ruuuuun"), but that didn't distract from the boyish charisma that is completely and entirely Cole's own.
J. Cole's smirks and every-so-often winks are sure to send more than a few fans to the Love Doctor. Not to mention "Work Out"'s mature-but-not-too-mature lyrics:
Straight up, now tell me do you really wanna love me forever / Oh, oh, oh / Or is it just a hit and run / (Well, hey)
Just two months off the release of his debut album, Cole World, and the recipient of a Best New Artist Grammy nomination, J. Cole is already making a reputable name for himself. Watch out Drake, he's comin' for ya!
Check out the performance below:
- Watch Darlene Love's Final Christmas Performance on David Letterman TONIGHT
- This Hilarious Misheard Lyrics Video Will Force You to Rethink Your List of "Starbucks Lovers"
- Best Albums of 2014: Amanda's Top 10 Picks
- Who Else Has Been Naughty & Nice This Christmas? WATCH Pt. II
- Get To Know The 'WILD' Soundtrack With These Exclusive Lyric Cards
- Best Singles of 2014: Amanda's Top 10 Tracks
- Ring In 2015 With Our All-Night New Years Playlist