Jay Z Drops The Hyphen From His Name
Looks like we'll have to edit a bunch of lyrics with the rapper's old hyphenated name!
With the release of Jay Z's Magna Carta Holy Grail, you'd think we'd all clue in regarding the rapper's name change with the track "JAY Z BLUE": he's officially dropped the hyphen from his moniker. Looking for conformation? Here's a tweet from Billboard editor Joe Levy:
Breaking: Jay Z has dropped the hyphen from his name, according to his label. I am not kidding. (Wish I was.) Copy editors: take note.— Joe Levy (@RealJoeLevy) July 18, 2013
It's not THAT severe of a name change — it's just a punctuation difference — but this means that not only is our artist page for Jay now needs updating, song titles like "Jockin' Jay-Z" need a little facelift too. Not to mention songs that drop Jay's name in their lyrics, like Miley Cyrus' "Party In The USA": That's when the taxi man turned on the radio / And the Jay-Z song was on...
Long story short, we think it's cool you dropped the hyphen from your name, Jay Z, but maybe warn us next time so we can edit our artist pages and lyrics. What do you think of Jay Z's name change? Let us know in the comments.
- Ariana Grande's 'My Everything' is Here and the Lyrics are Everything
- WATCH Cobra Starship ft. Icona Pop's (Surprisingly) Romantic Lyric Video
- 12 Pump-Up Songs to Help Get You Ready for Back-to-School
- Which Will Smith Movie Helped Inspire Bryce Vine's Song 'Take Me Home'?
- WATCH President Obama's Hilarious Take On Ariana Grande's "Problem"
- Oh My Gosh, Look At Nicki Minaj's "Anaconda" Music Video
- Joel Crouse Gives Solid Life Advice in His "Even the River Runs" Lyrics