Justin Bieber's Song "Maria" Is A Modern-Day "Billie Jean"
When we first heard Justin Bieber's track "Maria" from his new album Believe, we couldn't believe our ears. The song starts out with brief flashes of audio from real news broadcasts and interviews (specifically this one from The Today Show with Matt Lauer) referring to Justin's situation with Mariah Yeater and her accusations that he fathered her baby. The song then goes on to be a catchy, edgy, song about the scandal.
The lyrics in "Maria" come very close to the lyrics of Michael Jackson's hit song "Billie Jean" about obsessive fans and claims of illegitimate children. Let's compare the chorus:
"Billie Jean": "Billie Jean is not my lover / She's just a girl who claims that I am the one / But the kid is not my son / She says I am the one, but the kid is not my son"
"Maria": "Maria, why you wanna do me like that? / That ain't my baby, that ain't my girl / Maria, why you wanna play me like that? / She ain't my baby, she ain't my girl"
Pretty crazy similarity, hey? Tell us what you think of Justin Bieber's new song "Maria" in the comments!
- 15 Songs For Your Labor Day Long Weekend
- SOJA's "Your Song" Reminds Us That Summer Isn't Over Yet
- WATCH Jessie + Ariana + Nicki Host The Best Rooftop Party Ever
- Ariana Grande's 'My Everything' is Here and the Lyrics are Everything
- WATCH Cobra Starship ft. Icona Pop's (Surprisingly) Romantic Lyric Video
- Darius Rucker's 'Homegrown Honey' Lyrics Are About Finding a Down-Home Soul in The Big City
- 12 Pump-Up Songs to Help Get You Ready for Back-to-School