Justin Bieber's Song "Maria" Is A Modern-Day "Billie Jean"
When we first heard Justin Bieber's track "Maria" from his new album Believe, we couldn't believe our ears. The song starts out with brief flashes of audio from real news broadcasts and interviews (specifically this one from The Today Show with Matt Lauer) referring to Justin's situation with Mariah Yeater and her accusations that he fathered her baby. The song then goes on to be a catchy, edgy, song about the scandal.
The lyrics in "Maria" come very close to the lyrics of Michael Jackson's hit song "Billie Jean" about obsessive fans and claims of illegitimate children. Let's compare the chorus:
"Billie Jean": "Billie Jean is not my lover / She's just a girl who claims that I am the one / But the kid is not my son / She says I am the one, but the kid is not my son"
"Maria": "Maria, why you wanna do me like that? / That ain't my baby, that ain't my girl / Maria, why you wanna play me like that? / She ain't my baby, she ain't my girl"
Pretty crazy similarity, hey? Tell us what you think of Justin Bieber's new song "Maria" in the comments!
- Even Taylor Swift Can Get Down With Kanye's "All Day"
- Here's Why 'Uptown Funk' Is World's Biggest Pop Song Right Now
- Christina Aguilera's Impression of Britney Spears Is Perfect
- This Mash-Up of Jay Z and Ed Sheeran Is Absolutely Everything
- Ed Sheeran Puts His Spin On A...Christina Aguilera Classic?
- The Oh Hellos Letter-Graded Their 'Hello My Old Heart' Handwritten Lyrics For Us
- Our Favorite Musical Moments from the 2015 Oscars