Lil Wayne Reflects In New Single 'Mirror' feat. Bruno Mars
Lil Wayne is at it again: his latest single 'Mirror' has been released and it's in the same vein as his first from Tha Carter IV, 'How To Love'. 'Mirror' features Bruno Mars and the two artists (who are an unlikely pairing in our opinion) have a video for the song that came out today.
The song is a really insightful track about Lil Wayne examining his life up to this point and being introspective while looking at the man in the "Mirror." Here's a part when he references his possible past problems with drugs and his inner pain:
But you think that you're on your way / life lined up on the mirror, don't blow it (Whoo!) / Look at me when I'm talking to you / You lookin' at me, but I'm lookin' through you
I see the blood in your eyes / I see the love in disguise / I see the pain hidden in your pride / I see you're not satisfied
And I don't see nobody else / I see myself
At times the song takes a dark tone and tells of how alone Weezy feels alone and like he's carrying a painful past with him every day. But the song also takes some hopeful turns with the rapper beginning to accept that his past has shaped him, his family has made him into a good man, and he's successful:
I see my Mama's smile, that's a blessing / I see the change; I see the message / And no message coulda been any clearer / So I'm starting with the man in the (mirror)
All in all, we love seeing this softer side of Lil Wayne's music and lyric-writing. With his new album and especially this new introspective single, he's shown that he can joke around and make club hits but there's still substance and emotion behind his skills. Here's the video for 'Mirror':
- Watch Darlene Love's Final Christmas Performance on David Letterman TONIGHT
- This Hilarious Misheard Lyrics Video Will Force You to Rethink Your List of "Starbucks Lovers"
- Best Albums of 2014: Amanda's Top 10 Picks
- Who Else Has Been Naughty & Nice This Christmas? WATCH Pt. II
- Get To Know The 'WILD' Soundtrack With These Exclusive Lyric Cards
- Best Singles of 2014: Amanda's Top 10 Tracks
- Ring In 2015 With Our All-Night New Years Playlist