Lyric Of The Week (SXSW Edition): Fiona Apple's "Criminal"
As the festivities at Austin music & art conference South By Southwest (SXSW) unravel, some of today's hottest acts in music are making themselves heard all around the city. From pop heavyweights like Kanye West and Jay-Z to indie darlings The Shins to the classic rock god Bruce Springsteen, you never know who you're going to see at SXSW. Case in point: the rarely-leaves-LA singer-songwriter Fiona Apple, who might not be a household name but is a highly respected artist with a huge cult fan following.
The adorable performer strutted her stuff at the National Public Radio's evening showcase on Wednesday, March 14th, to an excited audience who were chomping at the bit to see their idol play live. The quirky songstress played three new songs from her (gasp) soon to be released 23-word long album The Idler Wheel is wiser than the Driver of the Screw, and Whipping Cords will serve you more than Ropes will ever do (aaaand take a breath). For her final number, Fiona closed with her biggest hit (and the most searched lyric on our site) "Criminal", which we have deemed our Lyric Of The Week:
"What I need is a good defense
'Cause I'm feelin' like a criminal
And I need to redeemed
To the one I've sinned against
Because he's all I ever knew of love"
- Preview Darius Rucker's New Album With These Beautiful Lyric Posters
- MAX's Handwritten Lyrics Will Leave You Talking 'Gibberish'
- Finally You Can Hear Rihanna's New 'R8' Single In Full
- Get a First Look at Kopecky's New 'Quarterback' Lyric Video (PREMIERE)
- 13 One Direction Songs That Just Won't Be The Same Without Zayn
- SAT Prep Book Publishes A Major Taylor Swift Lyric Flub
- Ne-Yo Explains How He and Calvin Harris Created EDM Magic on 'Let's Go'