Mary J. Blige Bares Her Soul On New Album
Mary J. Blige has released the sequel to her acclaimed 1994 album My Life entitled My Life II: The Journey Continues... With collaborations with big-name well-respected artists like Diddy, Lil Wayne, and Beyonce the album is sure to be as big of a hit as the previous My Life which went platinum multiple times.
As the title suggests, Mary J. is spilling all of her feelings out through her songs on the album and music fans are really able to get a sense of how it feels to be her. The first single from the album is called 'Someone To Love Me' featuring Diddy and it talks about the baggage that she brings to a new relationship:
I've got issues just like you / Sometimes I get so confused / I'm strong, but I can break / I'll be praying so hard to get through the day
Her personal story can confirm this baggage; her father abandoned her family when she was young, she was molested, and she battled depression, drugs, and alcohol. On her breakthrough album in 1994 My Life, she began tackling these issues and continues to reveal her life now.
The songs on My Life II: The Journey Continues... have some of the strongest lyrics we have seen yet, blending poetic imagery with revealing honesty and emotion. In 'Someone To Love Me' one of the strongest lines is when Mary describes who she is, and how she is still incomplete:
Mix me with violence, blend me with peace / Combine me with hate and I can't face defeat / I did it all in a week / Still incomplete as I stand on my feet
Overall, the album is another tour-de-force in the classic Mary J. Blige style that will dazzle fans with brutal honesty and lyrical prowess. Street Date reviewed the album in detail (including a description of her track with Take Care rapper Drake).
- Watch Darlene Love's Final Christmas Performance on David Letterman TONIGHT
- This Hilarious Misheard Lyrics Video Will Force You to Rethink Your List of "Starbucks Lovers"
- Who Else Has Been Naughty & Nice This Christmas? WATCH Pt. II
- Get To Know The 'WILD' Soundtrack With These Exclusive Lyric Cards
- Best Singles of 2014: Amanda's Top 10 Tracks
- 15 Artists We Bet Will Make Waves In 2015
- The Mowgli's Wrote Out Their New Song For Us And The Doodles Are Amazing