Meet Birdy: Teenage Singer/Songwriter Extraordinaire
We've always had a thing for British singer/songwriters — Adele, Jessie J, & Ellie Goulding to name a few — so it's no surprise that our ears (and hearts) were totally captured by fifteen-year-old Jasmine van den Bogaerde, AKA Birdy. The purity in her voice and the soul that pours from her talented fingers at the piano is simply enough for us to fall in love with her.
Coming from a musical family, with a concert pianist for a mom, vocalist for a sister and drumming brothers to boot, Birdy just kind of knew she'd end up recording songs. Sitting down with Myspace Music for a One Two Watch session, she said that it was "super crazy" growing up in her musical household. She also shares that her debut album Birdy (released last November) was comprised of covers because of her amazing success with her cover of Bon Iver's "Skinny Love":
But Birdy is indeed a songwriter, revealing in the interview that she began playing piano at the age of 7 and writing her own material by 8. On Birdy, there is one song that she wrote herself, a melancholic ballad about the loss of a loved entitled "Without A Word":
Watch her beautifully captured sit-down with Myspace Music here:
Birdy's self-titled debut is availible now via iTunes. Will you be picking it up?
- Kick Back With These 6 Songs For A Lazy Summer Afternoon
- Jamie Scott Explains 'My Hurricane', Drops New Lyric Video
- Kristeen Young To Perform On Late Late Show With Nirvana's Dave Grohl & Pat Smear
- Weird Al Gives Robin Thicke's "Blurred Lines" A Grammatical Parody
- Take A Virtual Safari With Mother Mother In New 'Get Out The Way' Lyric Video
- Watch Sultry Soul Singer Jenn Em's New 'Jailkeeper' Lyric Video
- Watch Weird Al Yankovic's Hilarious Parody of Pharrell's 'Happy'