Meet Birdy: Teenage Singer/Songwriter Extraordinaire
We've always had a thing for British singer/songwriters — Adele, Jessie J, & Ellie Goulding to name a few — so it's no surprise that our ears (and hearts) were totally captured by fifteen-year-old Jasmine van den Bogaerde, AKA Birdy. The purity in her voice and the soul that pours from her talented fingers at the piano is simply enough for us to fall in love with her.
Coming from a musical family, with a concert pianist for a mom, vocalist for a sister and drumming brothers to boot, Birdy just kind of knew she'd end up recording songs. Sitting down with Myspace Music for a One Two Watch session, she said that it was "super crazy" growing up in her musical household. She also shares that her debut album Birdy (released last November) was comprised of covers because of her amazing success with her cover of Bon Iver's "Skinny Love":
But Birdy is indeed a songwriter, revealing in the interview that she began playing piano at the age of 7 and writing her own material by 8. On Birdy, there is one song that she wrote herself, a melancholic ballad about the loss of a loved entitled "Without A Word":
Watch her beautifully captured sit-down with Myspace Music here:
Birdy's self-titled debut is availible now via iTunes. Will you be picking it up?
- The Mowgli's Wrote Out Their New Song For Us And The Doodles Are Amazing
- Check Out Every Lyric Off Rising-Star Kat Dahlia's Debut Album
- Best Albums of 2014: Amanda's Top 10 Picks
- Who Else Has Been Naughty & Nice This Christmas? WATCH Pt. II
- Get To Know The 'WILD' Soundtrack With These Exclusive Lyric Cards
- Best Singles of 2014: Amanda's Top 10 Tracks
- Ring In 2015 With Our All-Night New Years Playlist