My 3 Songs: About Winning
Music competitions have swept the world into a frenzy, first with American Idol, then The X Factor and The Voice, and we won't forget The Sing-Off! What about Don't Forget The Lyrics! or the ancient Making The Band? Reality TV as a genre has taken off in the past 15 years but people seem to relate the most to shows about music. TV-watchers' relationship to music shows can explain why the first American Idol winner, Kelly Clarkson, currently has a #1 hit and an incredibly successful career, or why Adam Lambert (not even a winner but a contestant of American Idol) has legions of fans on Twitter and real life of course.
Since we have winning on the brain this week what with the Grammys and Kelly Clarkson hitting #1 with 'Stronger', we decided to ask you for 3 songs about...duh...WINNING (copyright Charlie Sheen, I guess?)! Here are the songs you chose:
1. Nicki Minaj feat. Rihanna - Fly (submitted by Courtney Lemonademouth Bieber)
I came to win, to fight, to conquer, to thrive / I came to win, to survive, to prosper, to rise / To fly, to fly
This song reminds us of "I Believe I Can Fly" for a new generation. The video is all about rising up from the ashes of hardship and prospering, succeeding, hmmm...and WINNING! How fitting!
2. DJ Khaled feat. Ludacris, Rick Ross, Snoop Dogg & T-Pain- All I Do Is Win (submitted by Chris Chan)
All I do is win, win, win no matter what / Got money on mind, I can never get enough / And every time I step up in the building / Everybody hands go up
Have you ever noticed that rappers talk a lot about being the best, winning, making it, being rich? Lots of them rose up from bad situations, or bad childhoods to become successful and they're all about celebrating it! This is a fun victory song to dance to!
3. Linkin Park feat. Busta Rhymes - We Made It (submitted by Peter Paul Girasol)
Together we made it (you see we did it did it) / We made it even though we had our backs up against the wall (c'mon) / Forever we waited (haha!) / And they told us we were never going to get it
These lyrics are all about overcoming adversity and getting to the top of your game. Speaking of winning, this triumphant song was used by TNT as the theme song for the 2008 NBA Western Conference Finals and on the soundtrack for Madden NFL 09! Sports and music finding each other like peanut butter and jelly
- Look Up Lyrics In A Flash On The New MetroLyrics Mobile Site
- Mikky Ekko's "Smile" Lyrics Aren't As Optimistic As You'd Think
- Bastille's Dan Smith Explains Why He Loves Writing Bleak (Yet Uplifting) Pop Songs
- Watch Dan Wilson Talk About Writing a Little Song Called 'Someone Like You' With Adele
- Iggy Azalea & Rita Ora Slay In 'Kill Bill'-inspired "Black Widow" Video
- Metal Fans! Watch a Brand New Lyric Video from He Is Legend
- Can Ariana Grande "Break Free" From An Alien Attack?