My 3 Songs: Legendary Country Tunes
Last week, we began our coverage of the ACM (Academy of Country Music) Awards by asking you to vote for your favorite Song Of The Year nominee. This week, we asked you to tell us the best country songs of all time, and we can tell you guys know your country music legends! Here's what you came up with for this edition of My 3 Songs:
3. Randy Travis - Deeper Than The Holler (submitted by Kasey Bradshaw Saunders)
"My love is deeper than the holler, stronger than the river / Higher than the pine trees growin' tall upon the hill"
As one of country music's most significant figures, Randy Travis deserves a place on our list of best country songs of all time because of his poetic lyrics about his troubled past. "Deeper Than The Hollar" is one of country music's most cherished love songs: thanks for the submission, Kasey!
2. Dolly Parton - Coat Of Many Colors (submitted by Alex Mutuma)
"My coat of many colors that my momma made for me / Made only from rags but I wore it so proudly / Although we had no money oh I was rich as I could be / In my coat of many colors my momma made for me"
Another powerful lyricist not just in country but in music history is the legendary Dolly Parton (we know, we know, we talk way too much about Dolly but we love her). Coming from humble beginnings, a lot of Dolly's songs are about growing up poor, and the stories she sings turn into beautiful music like "Coat Of Many Colors".
1. Johnny Cash - I Walk The Line (submitted by Logan Hopp)
"I find it very, very easy to be true / I find myself alone when each day is through / Yes, I'll admit that I'm a fool for you / Because you're mine, I walk the line"
What can we say about the Man In Black? "I Walk The Line" is adored not only in the country community, but by practically every music lover on the planet. We'll always remember the impact Johnny Cash had on country, Americana, and rock n' roll music.
Don't forget to tune in to the ACM Awards on Sunday, April 1 at 8 p.m. ET/PT on CBS!
- Listen to Rihanna, Paul McCartney, & Kanye West's 'FourFiveSeconds'
- The Kooks Got All Creative and Wrote Their Lyrics On A Paper Towel
- Pop Newcomer Emily Hearn Filled Out Our Musical Mind Q&A + Gave Us Handwritten Lyrics
- Ella Henderson Explains the True Meaning of Her Smash-Hit Single 'Ghost'
- You'll Go 'Psycho' Over These Fall Out Boy Handwritten Lyrics from Pete Wentz
- Don't Believe Fall Out Boy Covered "Uptown Funk"? Just Watch!
- WATCH Maroon 5 Crash a Bunch of Weddings