On This Day In Music History...
August 26, 1967: The Jimi Hendrix Experience released "Purple Haze"
Not gonna lie, I'm a little obsessed with Jimi Hendrix at the moment. I'm currently reading his bio and finding out so many weird tidbits about the left-handed Guitar God. Here are some of my favourites:
1. He was really, really, really poor growing up. So poor that he always carried pieces of cardboard in his backpocket because his shoes had holes in the soles. The moment he could feel the pavement hit his bare feet, he'd slip a piece of cardboard inside his shoe.
2. Before he was ~*Jimi Hendrix*~, he played in back-up bands for artists like Sam Cooke, The Isley Brothers, and Little Richard (who kicked him out for being too flashy!).
3. He lied and said he was gay in order to get kicked out of the Army.
4. He was always portrayed as a sex symbol in the media, but he had a longtime girlfriend, Kathy Etchingham. So, in order to keep up his player perception, Kathy would often have to leave their shared apartment whenever Jimi had to do an interview (only to return and find Jimi canoodling with the female interviewer).
And then of course, there are the facts that everyone knows. Like how he's considered to be the greatest guitarist in music history, incorporating and in turn, influencing, various genres like soul, rock, and blues. Or how he played guitar with his teeth better than most people could with their hands.
Unfortunately, Jimi was taken from us much too soon, so there's no telling where his vintage chic style and otherworldly talent could have taken him. Though the surroundings of his death still remain somewhat of a mystery (Drugs? Alcohol? Murder?), there's one thing we can all agree on when it comes to Jimi Hendrix: the man is a legend.
- Here's Our Fave Five Lyrics About Body Acceptance
- Counting Crows To Perform New Song 'Scarecrow' on CBS This Morning
- AUDIO: Nick Jonas Admits He Gets "Jealous"
- Alicia Keys Debuts New Single "We Are Here"
- Get The Lyrics to Flyleaf's 'Between The Stars' Before It Drops
- Banks Hand Wrote Out The Lyrics To "Beggin For Thread" Just For Us
- Here Are a Bunch of Crazy Facts About Sia's 'Chandelier'