Oscar Nominations: Song of the Year
Yesterday's release of the Academy Awards nominees for the 2012 show shocked a lot of music fans, and musicians alike. Surprisingly, for the first time ever, the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences (fun fact: that's who votes for the Oscars!) nominated only two songs: "Man or Muppet" from The Muppets (music and lyrics by Bret McKenzie) and "Real in Rio" from Rio (music by Sergio Mendes and Carlinhos Brown, lyrics by Siedah Garrett).
Since the category for Best Original Song has no pre-determined number of nominees, the Academy has in previous years only doled out 3 nominations (but usually 4 or 5 songs are nominated). This comes as a shock since the Golden Globes nominees for Best Original Song stood at 5. We're not the only ones confused by the choice. Mary J Blige, whose song for The Help was nominated for a Golden Globe was disappointed with not getting a nomination, tweeting:
I'm so thankful for true fans like you all. It saddens me & feels like the Academy is being mean. 2 only nominate 2 of the 5 slots is.......— Mary J. Blige (@maryjblige) January 24, 2012
That being said, the two songs that were nominated are pretty great. 'Real In Rio' is a fun, festive dance song whose lyrics talk about uniting in celebration of life, "all the birds of a feather". Our favorite, though, is 'Man Or Muppet' from last year's The Muppets movie in which Jason Segel and his co-star Jim Parsons (from The Big Bang Theory) medidate on whether they'd rather be a muppet or a man, both coming to different conclusions by the end of the song.
Being the music and lyrics fans that we are, we'll be following this category as it unfolds at the Academy Awards on Sunday, February 26th. What do you think of the nominees? Do you think other songs should have been considered? Let us know in the comments!
- Watch Meghan Trainor's Candy-Colored "Lips Are Movin" Video
- Get The Party Started With Chase Rice's 'We Goin' Out' Lyric Video (PREMIERE)
- Find Out Who's Performing At The 2014 Victoria's Secret Fashion Show
- Straight No Chaser ft. Kristen Bell's "Text Me Merry Christmas" Is Your New Modern Xmas Anthem
- Metallica Light Up The Late Late Show With 'Fuel'
- Watch Metallica Rock The Late Late Show With 'For Whom the Bell Tolls'
- Watch Band Aid 30's "Do They Know It's Christmas?" and Help Stop Ebola