Phoenix Explain "Trying To Be Cool" Lyrics In Exclusive Interview
We got half the band to admit their "Trying To Be Cool" lyrics are, well, a little off!
Alt-rock band Phoenix are scheduled to perform at this year's Austin City Limits music festival (both weekends!), which is yet another stop on their summer festival tour. Earlier this summer, we caught up with the band at Lollapalooza, one of the other major festival stops on their tour. Members Thomas Mars and Deck d'Arcy took time to chat about their "Trying To Be Cool" lyrics. Frontman Thomas (who jokingly introduces himself as Branco in the clip) explains how the song grew on them during the writing process — the band considered the song "too good for someone else" and held onto it as a result. It's safe to say that was a good decision. Thomas also mentions the track's "awkward lyrics," like the line "Mint julep testosterone." It turns out that the band has no idea what that line means but used it because it "seemed to work."
Watch the exclusive clip below with two members of Phoenix as they explain "Trying To Be Cool":
The 5 Best Songs Featuring R. Kelly
From Bieber to Gaga, the R&B legend has improved many a song or two. Count them down with us!...More
- Lyric Reveal: Jodeci's New Album 'The Past, The Present, The Future'
- Obviously Taylor Swift Won 'Best Lyrics' at the iHeartRadio Awards
- Check Out Darius Rucker's Beautiful 'Southern Style' Lyric Posters
- MAX's Handwritten Lyrics Will Leave You Talking 'Gibberish'
- Finally You Can Hear Rihanna's New 'R8' Single In Full
- Get a First Look at Kopecky's New 'Quarterback' Lyric Video (PREMIERE)
- 13 One Direction Songs That Just Won't Be The Same Without Zayn