Phoenix Explain "Trying To Be Cool" Lyrics In Exclusive Interview
We got half the band to admit their "Trying To Be Cool" lyrics are, well, a little off!
Alt-rock band Phoenix are scheduled to perform at this year's Austin City Limits music festival (both weekends!), which is yet another stop on their summer festival tour. Earlier this summer, we caught up with the band at Lollapalooza, one of the other major festival stops on their tour. Members Thomas Mars and Deck d'Arcy took time to chat about their "Trying To Be Cool" lyrics. Frontman Thomas (who jokingly introduces himself as Branco in the clip) explains how the song grew on them during the writing process — the band considered the song "too good for someone else" and held onto it as a result. It's safe to say that was a good decision. Thomas also mentions the track's "awkward lyrics," like the line "Mint julep testosterone." It turns out that the band has no idea what that line means but used it because it "seemed to work."
Watch the exclusive clip below with two members of Phoenix as they explain "Trying To Be Cool":
- Get The Track List To Ariana Grande's 'My Everything'
- 7 Songs You MUST Have On Your July 4th Long Weekend Playlist
- See Every Lyric On Sia's New Album '1000 Forms of Fear'
- Join Becky G's Pool Party In Her "Shower" Music Video
- Neon Trees' Tyler Glenn Explains Why 'Sleeping With A Friend' Is Usually A Bad Idea
- 5 Seconds Of Summer Get Deep In Their "Amnesia" Lyric Video
- Alex & Sierra Share Handwritten Lyrics To 'Scarecrow'