Playlistin': Happy Birthday Barbie! 5 Songs That Name-Drop The Icon
March 9th, 1959 is a special day in pop culture history: the Barbie doll made its debut on this day at the American International Toy Fair in New York! Therefore, it's safe to say that today marks the 53rd birthday of the plastic fashion doll. To showcase how much of an impact Barbie has had on the music industry, we're counting down our fave songs that name-drop the world-famous doll. So have a happy 53rd birthday and jam out to these tracks, Barbie dear: you don't look a day over 17!
5. Katy Perry - Last Friday Night (TGIF)
"I smell like a minibar / DJ's passed out in the yard / Barbies on the barbeque / Is this a hickey or a bruise?"
The first Barbie name-drop on our playlist is actually a little morbid, when you think about it! Maybe Katy Perry and her friends were partying it up for Barbie's birthday, things got a little wild, and...they accidentally BBQ-d her? Sorry, Barbie!
4. Dolly Parton - Backwoods Barbie
"Yes, I can see where I could be misjudged upon first glance / But even backwoods Barbies deserve a second chance / I'm just a backwoods Barbie just asking for a chance / Just a backwoods Barbie"
Our love for Dolly Parton knows no bounds. Yes, she may have nipped and tucked herself to make her look just like a Barbie doll, but her down-home roots and humble beginnings prove that she's got a heart filled with plenty of human emotion. You go, (Barbie) Dolly!
3. Lil Wayne - Knockout (ft. Nicki Minaj)
"Hey Barbie / Can I call you Barbara? Haha / Hey Barbie / Can I call you tomorrow / And today?"
Did you know that Barbie's real name is Barbara? Well, the daughter of the woman who invented the plastic doll franchise, that is. Ruth Handler named the doll after her little girl Barbara, "Barbie" for short, and the rest is history.
2. Nicki Minaj - Massive Attack
"It's Barbie, b*****s"
We have to give massive props to the Queen of the Barbies herself: Miss Nicki Minaj! Coining herself the Harijuku Barbie, and donning her legions of fans as Barbies themselves, the girl has a serious obsession with the plastic icon. Look for Barbie name drops in these other songs by Nicki: "Itty Bitty Piggy", "Go Hard", and her EPIC verse in Kanye West's "Monster".
1. Aqua - Barbie Girl
"Come on, Barbie, let's go party / Oh, I'm having so much fun! / Well, Barbie, we're just getting started / Oh, I love you Ken!"
We can all admit that this is the biggest Barbie name-dropping song in history! If you were around in 1997 when this song was released, chances are you know ALL the lyrics. What better way to wish happy birthday to the Girl made of Plastic than by singing about wanting to BE her?
Do you have any fave songs that name-drop Barbie? Let us know in the comments.
- 15 Songs That MetroLyrics Fans Are Listening To Right Now
- WATCH: Foo Fighters Perform Brand New Single 'Something From Nothing' On Letterman
- Foo Fighters Play Cheap Trick Classic 'Stiff Competition' with Rick Nielsen: WATCH
- Get The First Spin On Paul Oakenfold & Azealia Banks' New Lyric Video
- Here's One Direction's 'Four' Track List From The Band Themselves
- Watch Foo Fighters Perform 'Miracle' & 'Polk Salad Annie' on Letterman
- Cage the Elephant Gave Us Some Amazing Lyric Art for New Single 'Cigarette Daydreams'