Playlistin': In Honour Of #Chavril — 3 Songs Featuring Unlikely Duets
"WHAT?" was the exclamation heard around the world upon hearing the news that Avril Lavigne and Nickelback's Chad Kroeger got engaged. Right away we knew we had to address it in some lyrical way so we wrote out their potential wedding vows using only lyrics from both artists' discographies. But that just wasn't enough for us. Nope, we are STILL stuck on #Chavril and we couldn't let the subject rest so we decided to gather three songs featuring some very unlikely duets. Hope you enjoy!
"I'm havin' a party / A party for two / I ain't inviting nobody / Nobody but you"
This duet starts off pretty unlikely for one reason: Mark McGrath doesn't seem to want to come to super-babe Shania Twain's party for some reason! That's the main thing wrong with this picture. Still a catchy song though!
"Here we are now, going to the East side / I pick up my friends and we start to ride / Ride all night and we ride all day / Some may come, no but some may stay"
We're used to Gwen Stefani doing more upbeat, fun songs so this strange collaboration with Moby had us doing a double take. But all things considered (like, is he wearing a furry pink coat?) the song is really well-produced and remains on our iPods to this day.
"Say say say, what you want / But don't play games with my affection / Take, take, take what you need / But don't leave me with no direction"
This is an... unlikely collabo to us because Michael Jackson was at the height of his fame at the time and Paul McCartney was kind of unhip by then, right? Also the fact that this video is set in the Old West is kind of odd. Any way you slice it though, when two great songwriters come together they're bound to create an awesome song and that's what we have here.
What are some other weird duets you can think of? Tell us in the comments!
- Does Sam Smith's "Stay With Me" Sound Familiar? Here's Why
- Listen to Rihanna, Paul McCartney, & Kanye West's 'FourFiveSeconds'
- Is This The Most Random GRAMMYs Performance Lineup Ever?
- The Kooks Got All Creative and Wrote Their Lyrics On A Paper Towel
- Pop Newcomer Emily Hearn Filled Out Our Musical Mind Q&A + Gave Us Handwritten Lyrics
- Ella Henderson Explains the True Meaning of Her Smash-Hit Single 'Ghost'
- You'll Go 'Psycho' Over These Fall Out Boy Handwritten Lyrics from Pete Wentz