Red Hot Chili Peppers' Lyrics Reflect Real Life Lessons
The Red Hot Chili Peppers are one of the most organic bands creating music today. Even amidst the group's proliferation, longevity, and several members that have come and gone (13, to be exact), one thing that fans can trust will always be a mainstay is the originality and groundedness in RHCP's songwriting.
One of the Chili Peppers' most celebrated songs, "Under The Bridge", comes to mind as its lyrics chronicle Kiedis' battle with heroin:
Sometimes I feel like I don't have a partner / Sometimes I feel like my only friend / Is the city I live in, the city of angels / Lonely as I am, together we cry
The line, "Sometimes I feel like I don't have a partner" specifically refers to then-guitarist, John Frusciante, and bassist, Flea becoming closer friends and withdrawing from Kiedis because of his drug use. The chorus, "Under the bridge downtown / Is where I drew some blood" explicitly describes the drug abuse itself. 14 years after the release of "Under The Bridge" RHCP wrote "Snow (Hey Oh)" whose lyrics clearly reflect the experience of getting clean:
Come to decide that the things that I tried / Were in my life just to get high on / When I sit alone come get a little known / But I need more than myself this time
Red Hot Chili Peppers' humility and creative spirit have lasted them over 3 decades, and now, fresh off their I'm With You album release, "CBS Sunday Morning" featured a profile on the group over the weekend outlining pretty much how awesome they are and why we (still!) love them after all these years. Watch the full video over at Live 105.
- 15 Eco-Friendly Anthems for Earth Day
- 7 Great Performances From the 50th ACM Awards
- 5 Love Songs That Are Actually Creepy
- In The Valley Below Sent Us A Message In A Bottle With Handwritten Lyrics On It and You Can Win It!
- ACM Awards: Everything You Need to Know About the Entertainer of the Year Nominees
- Get To Know Pop-Punk Trio Courage My Love
- Justin Bieber Leads This Epic Celebrity 'I Really Like You' Lip Sync Party