Sam Smith Slows Down Whitney Houston's "How Will I Know" Into A Tear-Jerking Masterpiece
The original 80s dance-anthem from the legendary diva gets a haunting cover from the up & coming UK singer. Grab your tissues!
We always get excited whenever we hear about artists we love covering songs we love (Pearl Jam's take on "Let It Go", anyone?), so after Sam Smith's cover of the late Whitney Houston's "How Will I Know" got major buzz on the Web, we simply had to listen. Little did we know, the cover Smith recorded for SiriusXM Radio is radically different than the peppy dance track Houston did back in 1985. The up & coming UK singer is aided only by a keyboardist and a guitar player in the studio, and lets his stunning vocals showcase the tenderness of the lyrics ever so wonderfully. No wonder this video has over a million views in just a few days!
We didn't realize how lovely Whitney's lyrics truly were until Sam stepped in with his slowed-down cover. Singing the chorus in his signature falsetto, the words How will I know if he really loves me / I say a prayer with every heart beat / I fall in love whenever we meet have never made us well up like this before. Excuse us: there must be something in...both our eyes. *reaches for a Kleenex*
Watch the buzzed-about performance from Sam Smith himself below (if you're in need of a good cry!):
Did Sam Smith's take on Whitney Houston's classic dance anthem make you shed a tear or two? Confess to us in the comments.
Connect with MetroLyrics: like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter!
- Here's Our Fave Five Lyrics About Body Acceptance
- Counting Crows To Perform New Song 'Scarecrow' on CBS This Morning
- AUDIO: Nick Jonas Admits He Gets "Jealous"
- Alicia Keys Debuts New Single "We Are Here"
- Get The Lyrics to Flyleaf's 'Between The Stars' Before It Drops
- Banks Hand Wrote Out The Lyrics To "Beggin For Thread" Just For Us
- Here Are a Bunch of Crazy Facts About Sia's 'Chandelier'