Sam Smith Slows Down Whitney Houston's "How Will I Know" Into A Tear-Jerking Masterpiece
The original 80s dance-anthem from the legendary diva gets a haunting cover from the up & coming UK singer. Grab your tissues!
We always get excited whenever we hear about artists we love covering songs we love (Pearl Jam's take on "Let It Go", anyone?), so after Sam Smith's cover of the late Whitney Houston's "How Will I Know" got major buzz on the Web, we simply had to listen. Little did we know, the cover Smith recorded for SiriusXM Radio is radically different than the peppy dance track Houston did back in 1985. The up & coming UK singer is aided only by a keyboardist and a guitar player in the studio, and lets his stunning vocals showcase the tenderness of the lyrics ever so wonderfully. No wonder this video has over a million views in just a few days!
We didn't realize how lovely Whitney's lyrics truly were until Sam stepped in with his slowed-down cover. Singing the chorus in his signature falsetto, the words How will I know if he really loves me / I say a prayer with every heart beat / I fall in love whenever we meet have never made us well up like this before. Excuse us: there must be something in...both our eyes. *reaches for a Kleenex*
Watch Pearl Jam Cover Frozen's "Let It Go"
Even tough-guy rockers like to get down to Disney's big hit. Watch Pearl Jam turn "Let It Go" into a rock anthem!...More
Watch the buzzed-about performance from Sam Smith himself below (if you're in need of a good cry!):
Did Sam Smith's take on Whitney Houston's classic dance anthem make you shed a tear or two? Confess to us in the comments.
Connect with MetroLyrics: like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter!
- Preview Darius Rucker's New Album With These Beautiful Lyric Posters
- MAX's Handwritten Lyrics Will Leave You Talking 'Gibberish'
- Finally You Can Hear Rihanna's New 'R8' Single In Full
- Get a First Look at Kopecky's New 'Quarterback' Lyric Video (PREMIERE)
- 13 One Direction Songs That Just Won't Be The Same Without Zayn
- SAT Prep Book Publishes A Major Taylor Swift Lyric Flub
- Ne-Yo Explains How He and Calvin Harris Created EDM Magic on 'Let's Go'