Taking A Look Behind Katy Perry's "Roar"
We're breaking down the GRAMMYs Song Of The Year candidate's empowering anthem.
Welcome back to our breakdown feature on Song Of The Year at the 2014 GRAMMYs! So far, we've covered Pink's "Just Give Me A Reason" and Bruno Mars' "Locked Out Of Heaven", and now it's time to take a look at Katy Perry's cat-tastic anthem "Roar". Ever since the single dropped back in the fall of 2013, it's been in our top 10 lyrics, which means that people can't get enough of the tune. But why? Find out how the song came about as we break it down below.
Written by Perry's dream team -- her friend Bonnie McKee, Max Martin, and Dr. Luke (who also wrote "Teenage Dream") -- it's no secret that "Roar" is an anthem directly penned after the pop star's public divorce with comic Russell Brand. Using the song as an outlet for her pent-up emotions, Perry was able to come up with lines like You held me down, but I got up / Already brushing off the dust and I got the eye of the tiger, a fighter / Dancing through the fire.
Speaking of fire, the song was under fire for sounding very similar to Sara Bareilles' "Brave", which is yet another strength-inducing anthem (albeit for gay rights). However, the controversy surrounding the similarities between the tunes might have just given Perry more popularity: it hit #1 in fifteen countries around the world! Plus, it's still on the Billboard charts even after months after its release, because people everywhere are relating with "Roar"'s powerful message.
Take a gander at the safari-themed music video for "Roar" below and let us know in the comments if you think Katy Perry's empowering hit should win Song Of The Year at the 2014 GRAMMYs:
- 15 Songs For Your Labor Day Long Weekend
- SOJA's "Your Song" Reminds Us That Summer Isn't Over Yet
- WATCH Jessie + Ariana + Nicki Host The Best Rooftop Party Ever
- Ariana Grande's 'My Everything' is Here and the Lyrics are Everything
- WATCH Cobra Starship ft. Icona Pop's (Surprisingly) Romantic Lyric Video
- Darius Rucker's 'Homegrown Honey' Lyrics Are About Finding a Down-Home Soul in The Big City
- 12 Pump-Up Songs to Help Get You Ready for Back-to-School