Taylor Swift Talks Songwriting And The Most Important Lyric On "We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together"
Earlier this week, The Guardian published an in-depth interview with superstar Taylor Swift in which she talks about songwriting, what she hopes to accomplish in her career, and how she feels about people trying to analyze her lyrics. There aren't many surprises in the interview — she proclaims her love for fairytales and romance — but we were surprised with how genuinely she seemed to believe in her craft. Here are some choice quotes:
"What I try to do is take one moment - one simple, simple feeling - and expand it into three-and-a-half minutes."
On people speculating on who her songs are about:
"It doesn't bother me when people try to deconstruct my songs - because at least they're looking at the lyrics, and paying attention to the way the story is told."
On "We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together":
"...the most important line of the song [is] "Hide away and find your peace of mind / With some indie record that's much cooler than mine."" Swift says. "It was a relationship where I felt very critiqued and subpar. He'd listen to this music that nobody had heard of ... but as soon as anyone else liked these bands, he'd drop them. I felt that was a strange way to be a music fan. And I couldn't understand why he would never say anything nice about the songs I wrote or the music I made." (So what do we think, is it about Jake?)
What do you think of the interview? Tell us in the comments!
- Kimbra's 'Love In High Places' Lyric Video Is a True Work of Art
- Don't Miss David Gray's Upcoming Live On Letterman Performance
- Miley Cyrus Crashes Pharrell's Dance Party In New Video
- Listen to Rixton's New Single 'Wait On Me' + Read Along With Their Handwritten Lyrics
- The Voice's Christina Grimmie Really Likes Video Games
- Conway's Hidden Her "Killer" Handwritten Lyrics In A Maze
- Watch Weird Al's Latest Hilarious Music Video For 'Sports Song'