Taylor Swift Talks Songwriting And The Most Important Lyric On "We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together"
Earlier this week, The Guardian published an in-depth interview with superstar Taylor Swift in which she talks about songwriting, what she hopes to accomplish in her career, and how she feels about people trying to analyze her lyrics. There aren't many surprises in the interview — she proclaims her love for fairytales and romance — but we were surprised with how genuinely she seemed to believe in her craft. Here are some choice quotes:
"What I try to do is take one moment - one simple, simple feeling - and expand it into three-and-a-half minutes."
On people speculating on who her songs are about:
"It doesn't bother me when people try to deconstruct my songs - because at least they're looking at the lyrics, and paying attention to the way the story is told."
On "We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together":
"...the most important line of the song [is] "Hide away and find your peace of mind / With some indie record that's much cooler than mine."" Swift says. "It was a relationship where I felt very critiqued and subpar. He'd listen to this music that nobody had heard of ... but as soon as anyone else liked these bands, he'd drop them. I felt that was a strange way to be a music fan. And I couldn't understand why he would never say anything nice about the songs I wrote or the music I made." (So what do we think, is it about Jake?)
What do you think of the interview? Tell us in the comments!
- PREMIERE: Rixton Unveil New "Hotel Ceiling" Lyric Video
- Does Sam Smith's "Stay With Me" Sound Familiar? Here's Why
- Listen to Rihanna, Paul McCartney, & Kanye West's 'FourFiveSeconds'
- Is This The Most Random GRAMMYs Performance Lineup Ever?
- The Kooks Got All Creative and Wrote Their Lyrics On A Paper Towel
- Pop Newcomer Emily Hearn Filled Out Our Musical Mind Q&A + Gave Us Handwritten Lyrics
- Ella Henderson Explains the True Meaning of Her Smash-Hit Single 'Ghost'