The Shins Frontman James Mercer's Intimate Last.fm Set
Tuesday, Macrh 20th is a big day for James Mercer and his band The Shins: they are scheduled to release their fourth studio album which also happens to be their first album in 5 years! They'll also be appearing on big-time web-series Live On Letterman for the first time!, and Mercer was interviewed by our friends at CBS to discuss his new album and The Shins' upcoming tour.
According to Mercer, Port Of Morrow deals with themes of love, family, and the duality of life (he explains this as "the beautiful and the grotesque intertwined") with the songwriter taking inspiration from his "new life" as a domestic family man. In the interview Mercer also talks about songwriting and his short attention span when working on songs: "I tend to write a lot of ideas but then just leave them in that infant form and kind of move on."
He gives us a sneak peak of the album by performing its first single "Simple Song":
The song is available for free download on The Shins website. Be sure to tune in to Live On Letterman to see the band perform live at 9pm (ET) on Tuesday, March 20th!
- Even Taylor Swift Can Get Down With Kanye's "All Day"
- Here's Why 'Uptown Funk' Is World's Biggest Pop Song Right Now
- Christina Aguilera's Impression of Britney Spears Is Perfect
- This Mash-Up of Jay Z and Ed Sheeran Is Absolutely Everything
- Ed Sheeran Puts His Spin On A...Christina Aguilera Classic?
- The Oh Hellos Letter-Graded Their 'Hello My Old Heart' Handwritten Lyrics For Us
- Our Favorite Musical Moments from the 2015 Oscars