Watch Artist Jay Shells Install Rap Lyrics Around NYC
Have you ever listened to hip-hop lyrics that name drop street corners or addresses and thought, "I wonder where those are on the map?" Artist Jay Smalls definitely has, so he decided to create pieces of art that look like street sigs with rap lyrics about a specific NYC location, then hang them in the exact place the rappers mention. It's a cool, unique way to display lyrics by some of hip-hop's greatest writers, like Big Daddy Kane, Mos Def, to Jay-Z. These rappers all grew up in the New York City area, so there are many landmarks they name-drop that Shells documents through his lyrical street signs. Sure, he may be breaking the law just a little by putting these signs up, but at least it shows the world on the map what places really inspired hip-hop artists to write their legendary lyrics.
What do you think of Jay Smalls and his art project? Share your thoughts with us...
- Kick Back With These 6 Songs For A Lazy Summer Afternoon
- Jamie Scott Explains 'My Hurricane', Drops New Lyric Video
- Kristeen Young To Perform On Late Late Show With Nirvana's Dave Grohl & Pat Smear
- Weird Al Gives Robin Thicke's "Blurred Lines" A Grammatical Parody
- Take A Virtual Safari With Mother Mother In New 'Get Out The Way' Lyric Video
- Watch Sultry Soul Singer Jenn Em's New 'Jailkeeper' Lyric Video
- Watch Weird Al Yankovic's Hilarious Parody of Pharrell's 'Happy'