Watch Frank Ocean Perform "Bad Religion" On Jimmy Fallon
Last night, R&B artist Frank Ocean took to the stage of Late Night With Jimmy Fallon and delivered an understated, emotional and moving performance of his song "Bad Religion." It's been a long time since we've seen a popular artist with such a restrained, stripped-down performance style that still keeps the audience on the edge of their seats.
Ocean is not only notable for his vocal and songwriting talent, but for his recent admission on his Tumblr blog that his first love was a man. Many people, including past collaborators Jay-Z and Beyonce commended him for his bravery.
channel ORANGE, Ocean's debut album, was released last night and within an hour it reached #1 on iTunes. The song that he performed on Fallon last night with string accompaniment, "Bad Religion," was an apt choice given the recent attention Ocean garnered with his coming out; it contains lyrical themes of unrequited love and has a chorus that repeatedly says "I can never make him love me / Never make him love me, no, no."
Frank Ocean Sued Over 'channel ORANGE' Lyrics
Watch Frank Ocean's great performance of "Bad Religion":
[UPDATE: This video is no longer available.]
What do you think of the performance? Tell us your thoughts below...
- Does Sam Smith's "Stay With Me" Sound Familiar? Here's Why
- Listen to Rihanna, Paul McCartney, & Kanye West's 'FourFiveSeconds'
- Is This The Most Random GRAMMYs Performance Lineup Ever?
- The Kooks Got All Creative and Wrote Their Lyrics On A Paper Towel
- Pop Newcomer Emily Hearn Filled Out Our Musical Mind Q&A + Gave Us Handwritten Lyrics
- Ella Henderson Explains the True Meaning of Her Smash-Hit Single 'Ghost'
- You'll Go 'Psycho' Over These Fall Out Boy Handwritten Lyrics from Pete Wentz