Find Out Why Surfing Helps Jason Mraz Write Such Carefree Songs
Jason talks that and more in an exclusive interview with CBS Sunday Morning airing this weekend.
Songwriting and surfing go hand-in-hand for singer-songwriter Jason Mraz, who let Ben Tracy from CBS Sunday Morning accompany him to his favorite surf spot near his California home to talk about how this laid back lifestyle helps him write such carefree music. He explains in the interview: "The fact that surfing serves no point, really, I think brings to my music a sort of carefree, 'everything is going to be okay' quality. Because when you're out on the water, that's how you feel."
During the interview, Mraz also gives insight into his upcoming fifth studio album Yes!, out July 15th, and the approach he took when tackling dark subject matter in his songs. "I certainly don't want to bring an audience into that dark place and say 'come with me on a journey while I bum us all out,' and then hope that the next song gets us out," he tells Tracy. "No, it has to happen within one song, you know. If you're going to go to a sad place for me, I've got to get out of it before the song's over."
UPDATE: Watch an exclusive clip from Sunday's interview, where Jason breaks down the inspiration for his song "Remedy," below.
- Watch Darlene Love's Final Christmas Performance on David Letterman TONIGHT
- This Hilarious Misheard Lyrics Video Will Force You to Rethink Your List of "Starbucks Lovers"
- Best Albums of 2014: Amanda's Top 10 Picks
- Who Else Has Been Naughty & Nice This Christmas? WATCH Pt. II
- Get To Know The 'WILD' Soundtrack With These Exclusive Lyric Cards
- Best Singles of 2014: Amanda's Top 10 Tracks
- Ring In 2015 With Our All-Night New Years Playlist