We Take A Look Behind Kelly Clarkson's "Dark Side" - #deCODED
In her new single, Kelly Clarkson confirms something we've suspected for a while: everybody has a dark side! The lyrics to "Dark Side" are an anthem for people who have harbored a difficult secret, or gone through a hard time. We wanted to take a closer look at the song and decode what the lyrics really mean:
"There's a place that I know / It's not pretty there and few have ever gone / If I show it to you now / Will it make you run away?"
When somebody is getting close to another person, there's always a sense of fear that the person might reject you or judge you when you reveal your true self. Kelly wonders if her dark side will scare her friend/lover away.
"Or will you stay / Even if it hurts / Even if I try to push you out / Will you return?"
The mark of a true friend or a worthwhile boyfriend/girlfriend is somebody who will stick by you even after learning about your flaws or your dark secrets.
"Everybody's got a dark side / Do you love me? / Can you love mine? / Nobody's a picture perfect / But we're worth it"
These lyrics are a great lesson in tolerance. Kelly's saying that everybody is worthy of respect and love, but nobody's perfect, and we have to love people's dark sides too.
What do you think of the "Dark Side" lyrics? Tell us in the comments...
- Even Taylor Swift Can Get Down With Kanye's "All Day"
- Here's Why 'Uptown Funk' Is World's Biggest Pop Song Right Now
- Christina Aguilera's Impression of Britney Spears Is Perfect
- This Mash-Up of Jay Z and Ed Sheeran Is Absolutely Everything
- Ed Sheeran Puts His Spin On A...Christina Aguilera Classic?
- The Oh Hellos Letter-Graded Their 'Hello My Old Heart' Handwritten Lyrics For Us
- Our Favorite Musical Moments from the 2015 Oscars