What Influenced Kurt Cobain's Songs?
Kurt Cobain, one of the most influential rock musicians of our generation would have been 45 today. To celebrate his talent and influence on music, our friends at 92.9 dave fm took the time to compile a list of 10 of Cobain's songs and what influenced him to write them. The inside look into the intention and meaning behind each of these songs is an interesting way to understand Cobain's musical inspirations. Here are three of our favorite behind-the-scenes peeks at his songwriting:
1. Something In The Way from Nevermind
92.9 dave fm writer Liz Bradley:
When Cobain left high school two weeks prior to graduation because he realized he didn't have enough credits to graduate, his mother told him get a job or leave. She banished him after one week, and he remained homeless for a while, sometimes staying with friends, and sometimes hanging out under a bridge over the Wishkah River. That experience inspired this song.
2. About A Girl from Bleach
Inspired by his conflicts with a girlfriend, Tracy Marander from Olympia, WA, who used to insist he get a job. She supported them both by working at the cafeteria of the Seattle-Tacoma International Airport, but he spent most of his time sleeping into the late evening, watching television and concentrating on art projects. Marander did not know this song was about her until after his death.
3. Smells Like Teen Spirit from Nevermind
Girlfriend Tobi Vail (ed note: drummer of Bikini Kill) wore the deodorant "Teen Spirit" and another friend of his (ed note: Kathleen Hanna of Bikini Kill and Le Tigre) spray painted "Kurt Smells Like Teen Spirit" on his wall, as a joke. Cobain was unaware of the deodorant name, and mistook the slogan as having a revolutionary meaning.
Take a look at the rest of the 10 Kurt Cobain Song Influences on 92.9 dave fm.
- Check Out This Awesome Lyric Art for My Morning Jacket's New Single
- You're Gonna Really Like Carly Rae Jepsen's New Single!
- Even Taylor Swift Can Get Down With Kanye's "All Day"
- Here's Why 'Uptown Funk' Is the World's Biggest Pop Song Right Now
- Christina Aguilera's Impression of Britney Spears Is Perfect
- This Mash-Up of Jay Z and Ed Sheeran Is Absolutely Everything
- Ed Sheeran Puts His Spin On A...Christina Aguilera Classic?