You Shouldn't Have: 4 Songs That Really Didn't Need To Be Covered
Here at MetroLyrics, we love all forms of musical expression, but sometimes we believe in the old expression "leave well enough alone." We're talking of course about cover songs. Sometimes they can push the boundaries of the original piece of music and create something beautiful and inspired, but sometimes... well, we'll let the following songs speak for themselves:
Lil Wayne - Take Me Out To The Ball Game
This is the video that inspired our post today. Last night at a Giants game, rapper Lil Wayne led the crowd in his very own rendition of the unofficial baseball anthem "Take Me Out To The Ball Game." Words to describe this embarrassing performance include "lazy," "slurred." "non-melodic" and "what?"
Jessica's trying-too-hard and confusingly sultry cover of Nancy Sinatra's swingin' 60's tune had us wondering "Why?" Add that to the fact that this cover was made for the lackluster movie remake of the TV series The Dukes of Hazzard and you have the perfect recipe for a flop.
Why did Don McLean's classic folk-rock song need an annoying synth-y updated version in the year 2000? The only person who can answer this is Madonna, but she won't accept our requests for an interview.
As a child of the 90's, the first time I heard "Smooth Criminal" it was this cover version by Alien Ant Farm. I'm not proud of that fact, but I am proud to say I hated it and promptly sought out the original version, by the legendary Michael Jackson. Why cover the Prince of Pop? You'll never be better than MJ!
For more cover song goodness, check out the blog.
In your opinion, what's the worst cover? Tell us your thoughts in the comments...
- In The Valley Below Sent Us A Message In A Bottle With Handwritten Lyrics On It and You Can Win It!
- 5 Love Songs That Are Actually Creepy
- ACM Awards: Everything You Need to Know About the Entertainer of the Year Nominees
- Get To Know Pop-Punk Trio Courage My Love
- Justin Bieber Leads This Epic Celebrity 'I Really Like You' Lip Sync Party
- Watch Jennifer Hudson & James Corden Kill It in 'Carpool Karaoke'
- Get All The Feels by Watching George Ezra on The Late Late Show