You Shouldn't Have: 4 Songs That Really Didn't Need To Be Covered
Here at MetroLyrics, we love all forms of musical expression, but sometimes we believe in the old expression "leave well enough alone." We're talking of course about cover songs. Sometimes they can push the boundaries of the original piece of music and create something beautiful and inspired, but sometimes... well, we'll let the following songs speak for themselves:
Lil Wayne - Take Me Out To The Ball Game
This is the video that inspired our post today. Last night at a Giants game, rapper Lil Wayne led the crowd in his very own rendition of the unofficial baseball anthem "Take Me Out To The Ball Game." Words to describe this embarrassing performance include "lazy," "slurred." "non-melodic" and "what?"
Jessica's trying-too-hard and confusingly sultry cover of Nancy Sinatra's swingin' 60's tune had us wondering "Why?" Add that to the fact that this cover was made for the lackluster movie remake of the TV series The Dukes of Hazzard and you have the perfect recipe for a flop.
Why did Don McLean's classic folk-rock song need an annoying synth-y updated version in the year 2000? The only person who can answer this is Madonna, but she won't accept our requests for an interview.
As a child of the 90's, the first time I heard "Smooth Criminal" it was this cover version by Alien Ant Farm. I'm not proud of that fact, but I am proud to say I hated it and promptly sought out the original version, by the legendary Michael Jackson. Why cover the Prince of Pop? You'll never be better than MJ!
For more cover song goodness, check out the blog.
In your opinion, what's the worst cover? Tell us your thoughts in the comments...
- INTERVIEW: Elvis Perkins Shares Stories From On The Road
- PREMIERE: Rixton Unveil New "Hotel Ceiling" Lyric Video
- The ACMs Turn 50! What Do Luke Bryan & Blake Shelton Have Planned?
- North West Stars In Kanye's "Only One" Video
- Share Your Thoughts On Kelly Clarkson's 'Piece by Piece' Lyrics
- Rumor Has It: Will Rihanna Perform 'FourFiveSeconds' At The 2015 GRAMMYs?
- Taylor Swift Has Trademarked 'This Sick Beat' and a Bunch of Other 1989 Lyrics